Framing done and double checked for errors. This took a lot longer than I’d expected it to. I had to rip out all the framing members from an entire section (each long wall was put up in 3 sections) due to it being a bit sloppy. I ended up having to do it twice because I messed up the second time around. The videos and online tiny house training section go over in detail on framing but I seemed to have been in a bit of a hurry. The experience taught me to go slow for sure. The thing I’m learning already is that with a Tiny House by the time you get good at something, you’re now done with that one thing. By the time I got good with the wall framing, it was over. In an average sized house this wouldn’t be the case.
I also applied metal ties around corners and from the subfloor to the walls approximately every other beam. In addition to that I applied metal ties from the walls to the dormers. The ties on those attach at several locations (the wall, both top plates, and the dormer framing itself). This means that the subfloor, which is attached using L-brackets around the exterior of the metal trailer and to the wooden beams throughout the center, is attached using standard framing nails and metal brackets is also attached using framing nails and brackets to the dormer framing. Super secure!
The loft joists also got attention (not pictured). I blocked in the joists which will make the loft a lot sturdier and give me some extra places to glue the sheathing to. This was something built into the Tiny House plans. The only thing I changed was the spacing to accommodate the structure below since I’d changed the size of the trailer in the plans. Since they are Google Sketchup plans it makes it pretty easy to do.
Sheathing was a bear on my own. After trying and failing to get the first piece of 1/2″ OSB on straight I put a call out on FaceBook for friends who needed a little extra cash to come help me for a day or two putting up sheathing. You could cut the pieces of OSB in half to make them easier to install but I wanted a stronger structure. Since OSB plays such a big roll in structural integrity I wanted it to be as strong as possible. Once the call went out I had someone over the next day and got the sheathing rolling pretty fast. It was as simple as measure, cut, glue, hold in place and nail in place. Make sure there is enough of a gap between OSB sheets to take care of the swelling that can happen when it gets cold.
After the OSB was on the house’s movement back and forth was a lot less. Time to get the roof started. The first step is the ridge beam. Its shown a bit in the pictures, but more on that in the next post.