Roof framing done. At this point I’m a full day behind schedule but not horrible considering the monsoon rain storm all day yesterday, a full day eaten up fixing framing mistakes, and working by myself most days. Should have sheathing and tar paper done shortly. Windows and door will have to wait till next weekend as I’m heading back to work!
The hardest part of the roof build was getting the angle/length of the cuts correct. Seeing as I’m not an expert I fubared the first setups pretty well. I had the angles wrong and since they were already cut (the lot of them) I was left with the only option of cutting new pieces. Sucked, but better to be right than to try and make something work that doesn’t. The plans here outline the the angles correctly and the videos here go into detail on how to do them, but alas, I’m inept.
Next I did my own version of “racking” or straightening up the frame. My house is fairly square and straight but it required a little bit of finesse to get it exactly right. Since I am a one man shop I had to figure out a way to move the frame over one direction so that I could install the framing members onto another side. To do this I rigged up a few tension straps (the type you use to strap down items to the top of a car or truck) and cranked them till it fit just right. Soon as the framing members went in and the straps went on I released the tension straps.
After the roof framing was done I started strapping. Put up strapping on all the framing members to make it super secure. These are hurricane straps and while I’d never let this house go through a hurricane (it’s on wheels so if a hurricane is inbound we are rolling out!). These work by putting nails into the wood (and metal strap) at an angle that is not the same as the rest of the build so it causes it to be harder to pull out. This was an easy part.
Next up was cutting the overhang of the roof framing to be flush against the wall sheathing. Then it was just a simple (not at all) matter of cutting the angle on the super long 2×6’s to act as my drip edge. These will be under my fascia board when complete. The reason this was difficult was just because of the severity of the angle and my lack of a table saw. I had to measure, mark, and then do a few test pieces to make sure it looked right. Then I had to cut a huge piece for each side and another for each side of the dormer at a completely different angle. Took awhile, but the install was easy. I hammered a temporary piece just under where the drip edge would go on each side. Gave me a place to rest the large piece of wood. Then lifted it into place and lifted it just above the temporary piece on one side an put one nail in. Repeated on the other side. Checked for alignment and went to town with nails. Got done with the Dormer drip edges and will finish with the main part of the roof later. If you are going to have an overhang REMEMBER TO MAKE YOUR DRIP EDGE LONGER THAN THE ROOF!
Enjoy the pix and next up I’ll be driving to a farm a hundred miles north to grab some free roofing material from a friend!