I realized that since I’m about to put siding on the house in the next month or two I need to get things installed that will be poking out. I don’t have to do this for everything but big items like the AC would be easier done now rather than later.
I went back and forth a lot on installing a Window/Through Wall AC like they do at Tiny Home Builders or a min split ductless. Mini Splits are ideal as they require very little through wall installation. However, they are more expensive (4-5 times more than what I ended up doing) and are a lot more complex to install. Since a tiny house is basically a long hall way and I wasn’t going to use the space above the door I opted to install my AC there so it could blow down the length of the house. I ended up going with a small window 5000 BTU unit over a through wall unit because through wall units are about 2-3 times more expensive than a window unit and don’t provide that much more functionality. Since I’m on a budget and I am not as technically adept as others I had to choose what would work for me and my family.
Mounting it meant I had to cut a hole through my existing wall, and frame up a header and king studs to deflect any future force around the unit. This was a pain in the ass. Cutting it to the exact size needed then fitting the header and studs in there to give a tight fit while also balancing an AC 10 feet in the air on a ladder sucked, a lot. However, I got it done. Flashed around the unit like a Window and will add some tar paper on top of it later. I used foam insulation around it to seal it up and tested the bad boy out. Viola, works like a champ. Doesn’t look so hot, but it’ll get there.
Closing in the wheel wells was pretty easy. I followed the directions on the videos here to close these in. Pix below and a short video outlining it all. These will be hidden in my house by being beneath the kitchen counters (my kitchen will be large’ish and two sided since my wife is a chef). You can see the 2×2 along the bottom which basically gave me a nailer to screw in the OSB to. Sealed it all in and viola, done!