Big night. Got a lot done. The roof is now complete (minus a little bit of caulking in some old holes the previous roof owner had made and sanding/painting). However, it’s structurally a sound roof now! Took a lot of doing but it got there in the end. Started with a drive to get the panels and here we are. I installed the remaining rake/gable trim pieces to keep water flowing where it should. Then did the very minor task of installing the ridge cap…kinda sucked, but honestly not that bad with a tall ladder, a helper, and lots of going up and down. The ugly part of the transition is something I’d seen in the training videos from several pros. here’s a screen cap:
I got fairly close so I’m ok with that. Mine has flashing underneath. Then on top of this you join your ridge caps. One overlapping the other. More importantly I think it’ll keep water out 😉 All in all this was pretty big portion of the build. Next up is the siding so that this beast can look like a house from the outside. How much did the roof set me back?
I got the roof panels from a friend for free which saved a lot of money. The screws cost about $60 total (roofing screws with neoprene washers). The universal ridge caps (3 x 10 FT lengths) cost about $50 total. The foam closure strips for the bottom and top of the roof cost about $90 (8 x 12 foot lengths). The external silicone caulking (5 x $4) cost about $20. The rake/gable and under dormer valley trim custom made by a local metal fabricator cost about $100. And then there was the $50 circular saw blade I used to cut the panels. I already had tin snips but normally those would be another $20. All in all my roof cost me $370. Plus whatever paint will run me (a friend already has a sprayer for me to borrow…score!)