Window Trim after 3 Coats of Paint & 2 Coats of Primer

Exterior Window Trim

Early on in the build I’d knocked out the window trim.  The problem…I didn’t know how to do trim work yet.  If I’d paid a bit more attention to the training in this Tiny House online course early on I’d have saved myself the trouble.  But instead I’d made some best guesses and then did it right after I’d installed my windows and tar paper.  It was the one part of this build that I didn’t do much research on and I paid the price….they looked horrible.

Social – YouTube

They had gaps all over them because while I attached the trim work to the house…I never attached the trim pieces to one another. That required me to use caulking to try and fix issues that should have just been done correctly .  The caulking then cracked with sun exposure (its Florida after all). Then to top it all off the trim wasn’t painted so even though the pieces were cedar (which is fairly weather resistant) they didn’t hold up over a year of zero protection.

So I was left with an easy (if not painful) choice…leave them up and just paint over them and deal with them looking horrible….or remove them all and use my (now) more knowledgeable approach to build them correctly.  I opted to tear all of the exterior window trim out and build them correctly. Live and learn right?

Below is the worst case example of how the old trim looked. Most looked better than this.  On the plus side, all of my research into protecting the house from water intrusion paid off and after pulling all of the trim off…zero issues behind it.

Incorrectly Installed Window Trim

Incorrectly Installed Window Trim

So having that as my starting point it was easy to see why I opted to just redo the windows.  Tearing out the old trim wasn’t that bad with a simple mini prybar (one of my favorite tools) and a hammer.  They popped out and then it was time to seal in the nail holes from the old trim and generally just make sure everything was tip top and prepped for the new window trim.

Next up I measured the size of the new window trim and went to work cutting it on the miter saw.  Following this I used the Kregg Jig to drill in pocket holes.  Then I clamped the frame together (making sure it was all square) and screwed all of the pocket holes in (2 per corner).

Now the frame for the window is prepped and ready to go.  Its a simple matter of placing it around the window and nailing or screwing it in.  I opted for nailing it in with my nail gun.  Now, to avoid weather damage this time I quickly sealed all of the nail holes and seams/gaps with caulking.  After that I used painters tape to tape off the window and Vinyl J Channel (white bit around the vinyl) and put on 2 coats of exterior primer and 3 coats of exterior black paint.

Then just rinse and repeat this process on all of the other windows 😉

 

Leave a Reply