The time is almost here….this is officially the last project before moving the tiny house to the RV Park we’ve chosen to move to (more on that next post). When I started this house I never imagined the journey it would take me on and can’t believe the bulk of the journey in building is almost at an end. I also can’t believe the last thing I’m doing before moving it is a simple kitchen drawer post 😉
We have a lot going on outside of the tiny house in cleaning the house we are moving out of, significantly downsizing our lives, and preparing for the transition but those things are fairly easy to do (so not much to post about). Just throw away about 90% of what you own, get a small storage space or a family’s closet for tools and anything else you can’t physically store but your wife requires you keep 🙂 and then move.
Back to the kitchen drawers. A kitchen drawer is a pretty simple thing. It’s 4 sides, a bottom, and a face. I am using 1/2″ drawer face, 1/2″ drawer sides, and 1/4″ drawer bottoms. Taking measurements of the insides I was able to determine the depth and width for each drawer and then just cut my board lengths accordingly. Have to make sure to leave enough room for the drawer slides (this depends on the slide) but is easy to determine once you pull out the directions in the slides packaging.
My top drawer openings are 5″ high so I did 4″ high drawers. I have a lower drawer that goes under the stove so for that one I did a 6″ high drawer. As for the Face height/width…I cheated. I waited till each drawer side/bottom was finished and installed and then measured what my face needed to be.
Cutting the slot for the 1/4″ bottom was a pretty easy process with a table saw. I just used a standard saw blade that was exposed by only 1/4″. My blade is around 1/8″ thick so I’ll need to passes to cut the slot wide enough. Since I want to have 1/4″ under the bottom of the drawer I made sure to set my fence to 3 3/4″ I cut all of my boards using this measurement. Then moved my fence to just a hair less than 3 1/2″. This produced a tight 1/4″ wide and 1/4″ deep slot along all of my side and rear boards.
Next up I used my Kreg Jig to drill holes on the side boards. To hide the holes I made sure to drill my Kreg holes into the side that would go behind the face and in the rear side. This also prevented any issue with getting them in the way of the drawer slides. I screwed and glued the front side to the side sides (yup, butchering the English language here) then slid in the cut 1/4″ bottom (making sure to apply glue to the slot first). Then it was just a matter of throwing the rear side on (taking care to line up the slot) and screwing it in place. The Kreg jig makes all of this a breeze.
The slides were then installed on the drawer. Screw each onto the bottom…its very easy. Then a trick I found on a video on YouTube was to put the slides together (the one that will be attached to the cabinet onto the drawer) and put your drawer into the cabinet. Get it straight and then draw a pencil line under each drawer slide. That’ll show you where they go when you have to screw them in. The slides pictured below are great because they also make sure to stop you at the correct depth.
After those were installed I measured the space I had available around each drawer and then cut my drawer faces. A bit of sanding and staining and viola! Screwed them onto the drawers and threw some cheap hardware on and drawers are now ready to rock.